Gazprom Marketing & Trading (GM&T) is a subsidiary of the Gazprom group - the world’s largest gas producer and one of the world's largest energy companies. Headquartered in London, GM&T operates to provide Gazprom group with a global marketing reach, round the clock operational coverage and excellent customer service. Established in 1999, GM&T has grown from a single office in London into a truly global organisation, with around 1000 employees worldwide. With offices in Europe, Asia and the USA, GM&T trades energy commodities including gas, power, oil, LPG, helium, emissions, LNG and FX and also operates a retail business, trading as Gazprom Energy.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes GM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
This role supports the Indirect Tax Manager in meeting GM&T Group’s Global Indirect Tax Compliance obligations. This includes, but is not limited to, preparation or review of certain Indirect Tax filings in UK, Ireland, France, Netherlands, Germany, Slovakia, Singapore and Mexico. The role shall also entail identifying and supporting the Manager in improving current, tax systems, processes and policies to support the growing needs of the GM&T tax department and the wider GM&T Group.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Preparation and Review of all relevant GM&T VAT, Energy Tax and Statistical declarations for a number of locations including but not limited to UK, Ireland, France, Netherlands, Germany, Slovakia, Singapore and Mexico
- Working closely with GM&T’s outsourced tax compliance service provider to provide data and any other relevant information to ensure the timely and accurate delivery of indirect tax declarations
- Preparation of all monthly VAT balance sheet and turnover reconciliations
- Acting as operational point of contact for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and general business/operational VAT queries
- Ensure that appropriate tax controls, procedures and reporting functionality is operated to enable the proper flow of data which will minimise tax risks and enable accurate recording and timely completion of all Indirect Tax related returns
- Providing guidance notes and training to finance team and the business as and when required
- Ensuring all VAT and indirect tax processes are documented in process notes
- Assisting with, advice and/or reporting on specific areas of indirect tax as required
- Working closely with other support functions to provide Indirect Tax operational input and support, including finance, treasury, IT, HR, internal audit, shareholder support, legal and risk teams
- Staying abreast of ongoing changes indirect tax legislation in each relevant country and manages team to apply in practice.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent team working, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to apply knowledge of indirect tax principles to systems, processes and policies
- Ability to build relationships with stakeholders and to manage multiple priorities
- Commercially astute and risk-aware
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills, oral and written
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a culture of excellence, integrity and accountability
- Ability to act assertively, self motivated and proactive
- Knowledge of Indirect Tax fundamentals and ability to quickly research and understand country-specific legislative nuances in this area
- Indirect Tax Compliance experience preferred
- Previous exposure to international indirect tax compliance matters desirable but not essential
- Good understanding of finance and accounting principles
- IT literate with experience in accounting systems (e.g. SAP ) and highly proficient in Microsoft products including Excel and PowerPoint
- Competent in VAT accounting requirements
- Degree educated (or equivalent) in business, accounting, management or other discipline
- Relevant post graduate finance or tax qualification e.g. AAT, ATT, ACA, CTA or equivalent required