Gazprom Marketing & Trading (GM&T) is a subsidiary of the Gazprom group - the world’s largest gas producer and one of the world's largest energy companies. Headquartered in London, GM&T operates to provide Gazprom group with a global marketing reach, round the clock operational coverage and excellent customer service. Established in 1999, GM&T has grown from a single office in London into a truly global organisation, with around 1000 employees worldwide. With offices in Europe, Asia and the USA, GM&T trades energy commodities including gas, power, oil, LPG, helium, emissions, LNG and FX and also operates a retail business, trading as Gazprom Energy.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes GM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
The Gas, Power and Derivatives strategic business unit supports Gazprom and third-parties providing traded market expertise for natural gas, electricity and other commodities and related financial instruments mainly in Europe. The business offers its customers a good range of services to enable them to access markets, secure cash-flows for their assets and manage their commodity price risks.
As manager of the Regulatory Affairs team within Commercial Operations the successful candidate will lead on both gas and power related issues and co-ordinate and prioritise work across the team.
The core responsibilities of this role will include the establishment of the current and future regulatory requirements for GM&T’s business activities, the identification of regulatory risks, the identification of potential commercial impacts on the gas and power portfolios The role will be highly interdependent with other functions including, but not limited to, Gas & Power Trading, Commercial Operations, Operational and Enterprise Risk and Regulatory Compliance, Operational Planning and Management and Legal.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain close relationships with the Gas & Power Trading Desks
- To understand commercial strategy, potential new markets and products and forthcoming major transactions.
- Identify significant regulatory challenges and commercial opportunities for gas and power arising from the planned strategy and tactics, for the current and future regulatory environments. Work with Front Office and support functions to develop corresponding action plans.
- Work with the Front Office Trading desk and Operational Planning and Management team and the relevant support functions across GM&T to ensure necessary operational arrangements are implemented for new business development.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of current regulations and potential developments of regulation and market design across gas and power markets and products
- Build relationships with relevant regulators, energy infrastructure operators, exchanges and relevant counterparties through active participation in consultation processes, regulatory enquiries and industry forums
- Represent GM&T and the Gazprom Group’s best interest through input to consultation processes and selective lobbying (ensuring alignment with senior management).
- Help ensure that GM&T understands and complies with its energy regulation compliance requirements.
- Work with other departments (e.g. Front Office, Compliance) to ensure that appropriate compliance procedures are implemented.
- Support Regulatory Compliance on market design and national regulation issues on market conduct and integrity
Risk management and strategy
- Identify operational risks arising from regulatory compliance requirements and liaise with operational risk management in the implementation of effective reporting, control and mitigation processes
- Identify, assess and report strategic regulatory risks arising from potential developments.
- On a daily basis Head of Commercial Operations, members of the Regulatory Affairs team.
- As required, members of GM&T Front Office, Legal and Risk Management to enable the Regulatory Affairs Department to meet its business objectives, specifically:
- Front Office – for current and future activities, and for operational capability development
- Regulatory Compliance
- Risk Management
- Other interfaces will include Tax, Communications and relevant Gazprom group functions as required.
Skills & Competencies
- Gas and Power specialist able to balance understanding of the energy regulatory environment and market design with commercial insight
- Able to adapt to changing circumstances and undertake different projects which reflect this
- Strong business acumen coupled with entrepreneurial flair and energy
- Able to work flexibly and collegiately within a small team.
- Able to develop and mentor less experienced members of the Regulatory Affairs Team
- Able to work independently whilst contributing to meeting the objectives of the Regulatory Affairs team
- Able to quickly understanding and assimilate different regulatory regimes
- Able to work in a dynamic, pressured environment and to meet tight deadlines
- Able to establish and maintain strong professional relationships across a broad range of internal and external parties
- Highly effective communication skills; articulate and able to converse at all levels; ability to summarise in concise manner complex topics; fluency in English (verbal and written)
- Strong Word, PowerPoint and Excel skills.
- Experience of the European gas and power regulatory environment is essential
- Exposure to energy trading and retailing environments within a highly commercial and entrepreneurial focused business would be an advantage.
- Educated to degree level (minimum 2:1) or equivalent
- Economics or other regulatory qualification(s) an advantage.