Gazprom Marketing & Trading (GM&T) is a subsidiary of the Gazprom group - the world’s largest gas producer and one of the world's largest energy companies. Headquartered in London, GM&T operates to provide Gazprom group with a global marketing reach, round the clock operational coverage and excellent customer service. Established in 1999, GM&T has grown from a single office in London into a truly global organisation, with around 1000 employees worldwide. With offices in Europe, Asia and the USA, GM&T trades energy commodities including gas, power, oil, LPG, helium, emissions, LNG and FX and also operates a retail business, trading as Gazprom Energy.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes GM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
The main objective of the Operational Risk Team is to support the commercial objectives of GM&T through effective administration of the GM&T Risk Management Process and proactive identification, reporting, analysis and control of operational risks across the business.
The jobholder will be expected to continually liaise with stakeholders across front, middle and back office; ensuring that key operational risks are identified to enable appropriate decision making and prompt Risk intervention where applicable. The ideal candidate will demonstrate independent thought, clear analysis and opinion, supported by solid understanding of key commercial and operational strategies and processes. Provide appropriate recommendations for risk governance materials and approaches based upon best practice. The candidate will proactively manage controls analysis and focus on pragmatic rectification, prioritising of risk and applying appropriate resolution actions.
This role offers a very broad remit, covering commercial and operational activities across multiple commodity products traded globally, requiring the candidate to be comfortable in building collaborative relationships with Front Office and the Support Functions at GM&T and its global subsidiaries. The role presents an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience in operational risk within the energy sector within a dynamic and rapidly expanding trading business.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as a senior representative of the team to provide operational risk advisory support to GM&T General Managers, GM&T Governance Committees and in support of new strategic initiatives, business change programmes and key system implementations;
- Lead and provide guidance on periodic incident and Key Risk Indicator (KRI) metric analysis to provide GM&T Senior Management an informed assessment of operational risk exposures across the organisation;
- Lead the company-wide KRI reporting programme for commercial and support functions including trend analysis (leading and lagging), provide appropriate challenge to business areas to identify potential risks and control issues
- Provide operational risk advisory decision-support for new product and structured product approvals (gas, power, LNG, oil and oil products and markets);
- Lead Risk and Control Assessments (RCA) of functional processes throughout the organisations to identify risks, assess controls adequacy and effectiveness and provide recommendations for remediation and mitigation;
- Drive the Incident Management (IM) programme; lead response to incidents in a timely manner, capture details accurately through meetings and investigation, provide independent analysis on risk and control aspects of the incident to provide appropriate recommendations, capture all action details, track statuses and record resolutions;
- Support the coordination of the GM&T Ltd Business Continuity Programme, including support of critical staff planning, maintenance of the Work Area Recovery site and liaison between IT, Business Units, Support Functions and the Crisis Management Team;
- Drive enhancement of all operational risk reporting through technical and business process improvements and engagement with key business stakeholders to tailor appropriate metrics and reports to GM&Ts requirements;
- Support the development and delivery of the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) process including implementation and maintenance of GM&T Global Risk Policies;
- Support the Operational Risk Manager in Project and BAU activities and provide support and coaching to Risk teams in regional entities as well as junior members in London.
Skills & Competencies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with multiple stakeholders in different areas of the business;
- Strong negotiation skills and presentation of arguments;
- Ability to prioritise multiple tasks to meet tight deadlines;
- Good energy market knowledge and front to back office best practise is preferred; and
- Excellent MS Office skills and advanced MS Excel skills.
- Reliable, diligent and highly motivated.
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team orientated environment.
- Confident and proactive, Attentive and seeks to understand others views with the ability to communicate complex issues simply;
- Ability to cope with rapid business growth and a pressured environment in which requirements often change.
The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience in an operational risk or auditing role within an energy trading organisation. Experience in establishing risk management processes, conducting risk reviews, risk reporting, risk measurement and control activities is required.